Sunday, February 21, 2010

Digital Nation Extended Analysis

I dont think that there is any debate that people are spending more time now on media use then they did before. This is certainly a result of convenience with people having constant access to media. One thing that is talked about in the video is that this seems to lead to people in my generation having a shorter attention span and not being able to put together complete and extended thoughts. An example of this is how we always cut our writing up into paragraphs. The problem that I have with this example is that I feel like I have always been instructed to use paragraph in situations such as writing an essay. I think that this is simply a result of teaching rather than lack of attention span.
One thing that has been created as a result of the infusion of so much technology is programs such as World of Warcraft and Second Life. I think that the use of Second Life as a way of meeting with people without having to fly everyone to one location can be beneficial if it can be done without sacrificing productivity. I do not think that people spending enormous amounts of time on something such as World of Warcraft can be viewed as very positive. I think that getting so detached from the real world isnt really a good thing. Despite this, if there arent any real problems caused by being on the computer for such extended amounts of time, I dont think this could be viewed as something that needs to be stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment